Public Works FAQs


When does my trash get picked up?

View our trash pickup schedule.

How do I get a recycling bin?

You can call borough hall at (610) 623-1000 and one will be dropped off to you.

Who do I contact if my trash does not get picked up?

For any issues with your trash please contact borough hall at (610) 623-1000

What is a Snow Emergency?

There may be times when the falling and accumulation of snow and ice upon the streets of Clifton Heights constitutes a significant danger to the safety and wellbeing of residents and/or people traveling within the Borough. At that time, a recommendation will be made by the Borough Manager to declare a “Snow Emergency” for the Borough. The factors that will be taken into consideration for the declaration of a snow emergency are the severity of the storm, ice, forecasted conditions, information received from the Clifton Heights Police Department, Highway Department, and the Governor’s declaration of a State Snow Emergency. 

How Will I Know If a Snow Emergency Has Been Declared?

Once a Snow Emergency has been declared: 

  1. It will be announced via Red Alert. 
  2. It will be posted on the Borough Website. 
  3. Residents can call Request Line at (610) 623-1000 to inquire about Snow Emergency status. 
  4. Vehicles blocking highways, local roads or driveways will be towed.

How will I know if the snow emergency is over?

A Snow Emergency will last at least 24 hours; however, the length may vary depending on the severity of the storm. Residents should check the Borough website for an update on the status of the Snow Emergency. Residents who do not have access to the internet may call the (610-623-1000) to inquire about the status and length of a Snow Emergency. Once the Borough has declared an end to the Snow Emergency, it will announce that number and on the website. 

Who plows State Highways?

PennDOT handles the state highways located within the Borough. After careful evaluation, Clifton heights determined that it was not in the best interest of our resident to continue the contract with PennDOT. The contract has been terminated, placing the sole responsibility of the opening of state highways back with the state. This will allow the Borough to utilize all its forces on local roads within the Borough to better serve our residents. 

State Highways are listed below:

  • Springfield Road from Westbrook School South to Aldan Borough  
  • Oak Ave from Baltimore Ave to Springfield Road  
  • Oak Ave South from Baltimore Ave to Central Ave (Saint Eugene’s Entrance )  
  • Baltimore Pike from Delmar Drive (Home Depot entrance) to Scottdale Road Lansdowne Border

What are the methods of road maintenance?

There are several different methods used to maintain the roads for safe travel during the winter. At times, the snowfall may not be heavy enough to require plowing, and salt or will be used. In such instances, the salting process will start on and continue until all roads are completed. Other times, snowfall may be heavy enough that trash pickup may be suspended due to unsafe travel conditions in the alley ways. The following guide explains the snow plan by stages of storm severity and applies to all levels of roads: 


  • 0-3 inches: salt / anti-skid, no plowing required 
  • 3-10 inches: salt / anti-skid, plow, Trash remains until suspended  
  • 10 + inches: salt / anti-skid, plow, trash pickup suspended (trash pickup will resume as soon as possible)

Can I shovel or plow snow into the street?

No, under Borough Ordinance and State Law it is illegal to shovel or plow snow into a public thoroughfare.

How do I report a missing or broken street sign?

  • Please contact borough hall at (610) 623-1000

How do I report a street light that is out?

  • Please call borough hall at (610) 623-1000
Close window